Tuesday, June 12, 2007


MySpace Countdowns and MySpace Layouts from MakeYourSpace.com

Less than two months until no mas tejas for T. WOO HOO! I am really starting to get anxious. To say I am ready to relocate is an understatement. In addition, I added this for those of you who cannot wait for me to leave, either. I know I have some lurkers who read this blog, but do not comment. Now we can count the days until my departure together! YEE HAW!

Also, I read Blue Angel by Francine Prose. I have to say it was a resounding EH. I really liked the beginning of this book, and it was very engrossing, and easy to read. However, the book fell apart around the half way point, and I have to say I was very disappointed because the first half was so engrossing. It was as if Prose could not decide whether she wanted to write a page turner, or serious literary fiction. One can make the argument that she need not choose. She could simply be writing whatever, and that is how it turned out, but I still think she was striving for something better and missed the mark. The odd thing about the book was how the professor kept going gaga over Angela Argo's writing, and it was SHITE. I was like "how can the book within a book that is going to destroy this dude's career be so bad?"

A friend said she thought it was intentional because it was meant to allude to the fact that Ted Swenson was obviously a douche bag, or at the very least losing his grip on reality. EH. I don't buy it. The whole affair seemed implausible, and the ending was a let down. Why go through all that to not say a single word? Prose gave a typical literary response in the author's Q&A in the back of the book that he was obviously self destructive and wanted to see it happen. Hmm...I wish she was as good a writer as Sternberg is a director.

Two things I did really like about the book. First, the cover illustration was an astounding choice for this book. So often the cover art for a novel is overlooked, and much to the detriment of the work. This cover art, however, seemed to encapsulate some of the themes that Prose was seemingly striving for very well.

Secondly, I loved the dinner scene with the English faculty. That was one of the more interesting parts of the book. It was a pretty good send up of what goes on at these types of academic parties. However, it was just that: a send up or satire. Another friend stated he thought it was pretty acurate but I think it was a bit over the top if not out and out stereotypical.

I am finishing reading Galatea 2.2 this week (for the second time) and then I think I am going to start either on The Gold Bug Variations by Powers, or attempt to tackle Gravity's Rainbow (Pynchon) or UnderWorld (Delillo). However, I don't think I have the stamina for either of those. The break my 300 page limit rule. Any suggestions for summer reading. A quick caveat, however, no sci fi or fantasy. I am not in the mood for trekkie/jedi/Potter crap right now. Trekkies...Sheesh. Fucking space communists.

2 Comments:

At 9:38 PM , Blogger Andi said...

Bah! Damn you and your naysaying.

Kidding.

Sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy it as much as I did. I'm still making my way through Blood Meridian. Will report in when I finish.

 
At 8:39 PM , Blogger theotherfeminist said...

T, I too was disappointed with Blue Angel. I have been on a Vonnegut kick here lately. Might I suggest
Mother Night
Breakfast of Champions
Deadeye Dick
Cat's Cradle
Hocus Pocus
Slapstick

Out of the six, I have to say that I liked Mother Night the most.
Or...
How are your evil skills? Do you evil skills and are they up to par? Perhaps this is the time to acquire and/or brush up on your evilness, you might enjoy reading-
How To Be A Villian: Evil Laughs, Secret Lairs, Master Plans, And More!!! by Neil Zawacki
It's funny, readable, pratical, and fits nicely into your 300 page reading criteria (only 169 pages). Luck in Indiana

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home