Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Long Time No Talk...

It has been a while I logged into my less than illustrious blog here at zewellcool.blogspot.com. It is kind of a bummer but I just no longer take time to blog. I think a lot of the problem is I spend the majority of the week in Fort Worth with no internet access. I thought I would log in and talk about my two favorite things: books and music. There is a ton of stuff I have read recently and heard that is really fabolous. As you know I am a bit of a "country cat. " Well that is not entirely accurate. I don't really like what would be considered to be "Nashville Country Music." I am not trying to be a musical snob here and get into a debate about what is or isn't country.

However, let's just say I don't dig the shit that is geared to an 8th grade level divorced housewife. I will never be a fan of a music that is banakrolled by studios who do studies about which chords are more favorable, and will not let artists write any songs that portray America in a negative light. I don't mean like criticizing Bush or some shit. They won't even let you write songs about the working man, or the problems of daily life. All the songs have to be upbeat and sunny. That is not a true representation of daily life, and I think it makes for some really middle of the road music that does not stand and thus Shania Twain, Kenny Chesny, or Tim McGraw will get no love from me not because they are "sell outs" or any of that shit. I just think their music does not have anything to say, and I believe what Brian Burns once said about records, and that is "you don't cut a record if you don't have anything to say." I pine for the days of Dylan when writing and making music was a craft that each artist took great pride in.

So onto the "must have records" of the fall. Most of these artists are alternative or Americana country recording artists and you have probably not heard of many of them.


  • Chris Knight Enough Rope - If you don't know Chris Knight you should run out and buy A Pretty Good Guy. Chris Knight is by far the most under rated singer/songwriter in America today. Hands Down. If you love Springsteen I think you will also love Chris Knight. This Kentucky Natives story telling ability is legendary. He writes songs about people who grew on the wrong side of the tracks their struggle to make it through this world. One song called Down the River is a song about killing the guys that killed his brother. It is the single most gritty real song I have ever heard. I strongly suggest you visit www.chrisknight.net and at least listen to his audio player.
  • Hank Williams III - Straight To Hell - Hank III is the son of Hank Williams Jr. and the grandson of the original Hank. His new album is fabolous. I must warn you this is not up tempo sunshine country. Some of it is down right white trash depressing but it is fabolous. You will hear an absolute TON of drinking music on this album. Smoke & Wine, Low Down, and Country Heroes are really good. Make sure to listen to the song Not Everyone Likes Us where he rails at the people who watch CMT and who are so fucking dumb they believe Kid Rock is Hank Jr's son. It is pretty funny.
  • Todd Snider The Devil You Know - I am a recent fan of Todd Snider. I like some of his earlier stuff but this album is really good. There are several fun songs on here that might actually get some airplay on mainstream country radio like Looking For A Job and You Got Away With It (A Tale Of Two Fraternity Brothers) but his music is always insightful, and real. He is also probably the best "singer" of this bunch, and has the most electic sound.
  • Stoney LaRue The Red Dirt Album - I have heard everyone talk about Stoney Larue in the DFW area for a long time but I was never all that impressed. He seemed like a Nashville wannabe and I avoided his music. I put him in the Eli Young Band category: Those who rep Texas and Alternative music because they are not good enough to go to Nash Vegas and make it. They say they hate Nashville but not because they really value creativity, autonomy and originality in the music process but because Nash Vegas won't let them in. However, I will have to admit that his new album is fantastic. It is hard to play with formulas of mainstream or traditional country and develop something really good, and origianl but Larue manages to find that fine line between great and middle of the road. Bluebird Wine, Idabel Blues, and Going Down in Flames are the songs to check out here.
  • One last thing. Trent Summar and The New Row Mob has a new album coming out and I don't know the title but I would check it out. The Range (www.khyi.com) has played several cuts off of it in anticipation of the album and it sounds like it is going to be really good. This taken from his myspace page (www.myspace.com/trentsummar ): "Trent Summar is just coming into his own as an artist, entertainer and songwriter. Five years removed from his critically acclaimed debut CD "Trent Summar & The New Row Mob," Summar has spent the intervening years honing his unique sound that includes elements of Southern Rock, Heartland Rock & Roll, Honky Tonk and straight ahead Country Music. Always known as a consistent and exciting touring artist, Summar has garnered notoriety in the Nashville songwriting community with songs recorded by hit makers Gary Allan, Pat Green and Billy Currington. In fact, "Love You" a Summar/Jay Knowles co-write has just entered the Top 25 in both the Billboard and Media Base Country Singles Chart for Jack Ingram. The track also spent two weeks at number 1 on the influential "Texas Music Chart." This is the follow-up to Jack's number 1 smash single "Wherever You Are." I have seen him play and he is really good. I strongly suggest you him out.

That is all for now. Run out and get these records.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home