Monday, April 24, 2006


Productivity is... Up?

I had a very productive day today. I am so proud of myself. Things I did today:

1. Woke up at 5:15 and was up and in the office by six a.m. I did not really feel all that bad because I have noticed if I just let my body fall asleep, and wake up on its own schedule, (fall asleep around 12:30ish and wake up around 5 am I feel pretty good. The trick is not laying in bed tossing and turning until sevenish, or trying to force myself to sleep earlier than my body says.) I went to the office and from 6-12 I graded about 25 6-8 page research papers. I have a blister on my freaking middle finger if you would like to see. It looks something like this. I won't say that this is the best string of comments on papers I have ever written but the students made it extra easy to pick stuff to comment on by not listening to a single fucking word I have said all semester. It is a good feeling to know that your class may suck but it is no direct result of anything you have done. When you have spent hours pouring over MLA style, and they still refuse to cite a freaking source, or include a works cited then you know you may teach at an open enrollment university that will admit anyone.

2. Responded to everyone's reading journals today in my Literacy course (I had already read the book and written the journal last night.) I was very pithy and witty if I do say so myself. I even worked in some cool obscure 80's movies references, and a reference to a obscure 70's disco track. I am the fucking MASTER. I think I really was at the top of my game in those responses. Although I am sure another grad student will take my responses way too seriously or try to be funny and fuck the whole thing up by cranking the gay-o-meter to 12.5, and sending the thing down in flames.

3. Finished the majority of my thesis revisions. The grad school said to check my situational comma usage, and D Rock is checking over some of the changes I made. I have to be honest here. I had a tenth grade grammar manual and I was mystified. It was embarrassing. I say FUCK GRAMMER. COMMA USUAGE YOUR ARE MY KRYPTONITE!!!! It was like the monkey's in Homer Simpson's head trying to solve the math problem. I did, however, fix many passive sentences and agreement mistakes. I felt vindicated that I could at least do that, so I am not a total retard. At this point I did a "readibility check" and it said I had 3% passive sentences. Of 17,000 words I can take that only 3% of the sentences are passive at this point, although, I do know the grad school and D Rock will find all freaking 3% of them and bitch moan.

4. Wrote my journal for Shakespeare. I wrote over the temporal and time in Macbeth. It is some pretty good shit. I think I really pegged what Mahood couldn't even say herself. It was on the trauma of timeless acts that lock you in "temporal here and now" with no past (it is undone by the act) and no future (it is prohibited by the act). I also talked about how time was natural and Macbeth turned the universe toward the unnatural and timelessness. Basically it was everything I said last when I was destroying J's presentation. Man I am really sorry about that I swear I as trying to help. It was like digging a grave because I just kept throwing dirt, and throwing dirt...

5. I also finished my conference paper for MELUS. Well almost finished. It is 13 pages. I still have to cut about a 1 1/2 before it will be ready to go. This was cool though because I forgot how much I really liked this paper when I started writing it. I switched the focus away from confession to confessionary binaries of sexuality, and man I must say I am excited about it. I think I am going to cut a lot of stuff that was suggested by my advisor and focus on the binaries at work in Roth. I think am I really on to something here. Good times, Good times. I sometimes forget that I am a pretty creative little critic, and that I can actually do this when left to my own devices. When I start listening to professors too much it takes the juice out of my writing. Not that they do not help but they prefer safe cookie cutter writing amongst graduate students most of the time.

So that is the jist of my day. I still have a lot to do tomorrow but I feel much better about the day. I think I am going to see if Little E wants to go ahead and stop at snuffer's for lunch and few cold ones tomorrow. I owe her big time for taking me to the airport, and I could tell she was not in the mood today for my stories about friday night. Everyone is kind of tense because it is the end of the semester. I should have waited until she was in a better mood and not in the writing center before teasing her about her callling a few dinosaurs in the old bathtub-a-roo.

Things to do tomorrow:

1. Wake up and meet the hippie (KP) at 9 am so he can cash two checks for me before I leave for Boca Raton. We both have checks from KA to cash, and if I sign mine over to him I won't have to pay since I do not have a bank in The Merce.

2. Go to the Chi Omega Teacher Luncheon tomorrow at 11. I am not sure who invited me to this thing but I have a sneaking suspicion who it is. If it is who I think it is I will be a very happy little boy. Plus I can revisit old memories of my wild and woolly undergrad days while there. Good Times, Good Times.

3. Read for Shakespeare. I am still not sure I am actually going to do this. J and Little E aren't presenting so I feel no real obligation to read. Although I would be devastated if I missed the last opportunity to crush Spidey before I graduate. I have to admit I can probably do this without reading because I know tons of shit about Shakespeare to bring in if I can't actually talk about the reading. Plus I know how to do this without seeming like a plagiarising little fuck ass. Any hoo I have not read Antony and Cleopatra since I was like 19 so it I need the refresher.

4. Answer questions that Donna sent out today over the book we are reading this week and discussing online. That will be a joy.

5. Pick up dry cleaning and finish packing.

Then off to scenic Boca Raton, FL. I need to print off a copy of the program so I can at least lie about some sessions I will be attending...

2 Comments:

At 9:57 PM , Blogger elise said...

Wow. Reading about all of your productiveness has just made me feel like a complete and utter loser. The most productive thing I've done today is steam-clean the mess my dogs made on my carpet for 3 hours.

It's going to be a late night.

 
At 10:54 PM , Blogger Jeremy said...

I've done nothing today, except watch a few episodes of the Sopranos, listen to the Rangers fail vs the A's, and blog. Such has been the high point of my day.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home